Wednesday, February 08, 2006

My vein runneth over

Another day at the hospital. I've given tons of insulin sofar, handed out pills, hung fluids. Nothing new. But I'm super-jealous of my classmate; she got to start her first IV today!

The lady she stuck was such a good sport about it too, what with the five students and teacher all hovering over her. Very obvious we hadn't done it before. FYI, anytime someone asks if it's your first time to start an IV, you always say "Oh no, I've done this lots of times in the lab", which is true. (Or, like Carter on ER all those years ago... "I'd be disgusted to tell you how many time's I've done this." Ha.)

Plastic arms are great and all to practice on; you keep sticking them over and over and no one complains. But actually sticking a person's arm is very different. For one thing, blood comes out. Gotta push down on the vein or it will spurt all over the place. Which happened. Yipes! Also, needles hurt real people, veins roll, and those stupid safety needles can be cumbersome. But anyway, I'm just excited about the whole "new experience" thing. And after seeing someone else start the IV, I don't feel nearly as apprehensive about starting one myself. My classmate did really well.

Well, I have test on Friday. I'm about halfway through making my "study scroll". The process of rewriting things is helpful. Hopefully I'll make an A this time.

7 Comments:

Im so happy to have found your Blog!! I am Starting my clicals in Sept. Your discriptions are great!Thanks
Amy

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, February 8, 2006 at 5:20:00 PM PST  

Heather,

Did you have a chance to practice doing an IV on a classmate? Surprisingly, us X-ray techs have to learn to put in IVs too (and how to catheterize also! yikes). We were told we would get lots of practice on each other. I have alrady been stuck several times this semester since the phlebotomy class is right down the hall and is always looking for people to "harvest" for practice.

I wish you luck on your first one. Sounds like it wont be long now. Remember that, just like other things (*cough* sex *cough*) you only have one first time, then you fast become an old pro. :-)

Have a great weekend.

Dustin

By Blogger Dustin, at Thursday, February 9, 2006 at 4:05:00 PM PST  

Haha Dustin.

Actually no, we're not allowed to practice IVs on classmates. I think there are liability reasons involved. I would be willing to offer up my arm if I were allowed to stick someone in return. But that kind of puncturing is something I'd have to arrange in my free time. The school gives us extra needles/syringes/cathetars to practice with, and doesn't want to know what we do with them.

We're talking about spending a clinical day in the Cath lab one week because they put in MANY IVs per shift and it would be a nice oppurtunity for us to practice. I feel bad for our victims; a flock of students descending upon you with needles isn't exactly a nice way to relax before a procedure.

Not that I'd ever make a mistake... ^_^;;;

Oh, and thanks Amy.

By Blogger esunasoul, at Thursday, February 9, 2006 at 5:01:00 PM PST  

Well, I would let you practice on me, but I think thats one thing you can not do over the world wide web.....yet! :-)

Dustin

PS I see you like Death Cab for Cutie! I love them too. I listen during my long boring commute in the morning to class.

By Blogger Dustin, at Monday, February 13, 2006 at 6:45:00 PM PST  

I am glad to have found your blog. Nursing students can only understand each other. No one else gets the life of a nursing student!!
I started my first IV last semester. I had no idea that an IV could give me such a rush!@ I got it in with no problem, and only one stick. ;)
Keep on going ~ I am told it's worth it.
Mandy

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, March 16, 2006 at 11:51:00 AM PST  

Placing IVs is a skill that comes with pure practice. Don't EVER tell a patient that it's your first time. You will be jinxed.. I have been doing them for over 5 years now and I couldn't hit the side of a barn and then suddenly I'm the one they call into the ICU for sticks. How much of an ego rush is that!

By Blogger Unknown, at Monday, August 28, 2006 at 5:52:00 AM PDT  

Hello,
Im really excited that i found your blog. I'm not sointo the hole bloging thing but in my of my classes i have to blog my teacher and we had to go around and type in some blogs that interest use and of course i wanna be a nurse so i typed in that. And i came to your blog..so i thought i would blog you :) i was readying some of your stuff and its great! im deff very intrested. Well i hope to here back from you to talk.

Megan*

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, February 22, 2007 at 9:57:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home