Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I thought this was going to be a documentary

..but it is far too sparse to provide any accurate picture of what it is to be a nursing student.

Or perhaps, maybe this is the perfect example of what nursing school is... I am so busy, I am unable to find time for even the smallest tasks like blogging.

Today is a Tuesday, which means I must prepare my preclinical paperwork before going to the hospital at 0630 tomorrow. If I want to give a medicine, I must construct a "drug card" detailing the drug's action, effects, side effects, safe dosage level, half-life, nursing implications, etc. Today I (somewhat masochistically) picked a patient with no less than 17 different medications I am able to give. Quite a cocktail, that bunch. Needless to say, I'm going to be really really busy for the next seven hours.

I was set back in time a little bit by a random drug screen today. Once a semester we have to pay $30 to pee in a cup. Failure means dismissal from the program, but I'm beginning to think that it is more for money than to assure quality service. $30! Yeesh! Life is expensive.

Time to study. Good luck with your own studies, everyone.

5 Comments:

Thank you so much for taking the time to uodate your blog! I am currently a nursing student (still doing the classroom part) and I will be starting my clinicals in January. It helps to hear from someone already going through it because I am scared to death and excited at the same time. I work full time and go to school full time so I'm a little worried that I just won't be able to keep up. So far so good and I'm pushing through. I just wanted to say thanks, it's very helpful knowing what I'm getting myself into!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, November 10, 2005 at 7:37:00 AM PST  

$30 to pee in a cup. For some reason, I am reminded of a Roman tax on said bodily fluid..

I had to pay a rackin-frackin "Activity Fee" for each of my classes this semester. It ended up being over $600. Like you I have no time to do anything on campus except go to the classes I'm taking and/or teaching and study my ass off! I don't go to football games or concerts or anything. I don't use their crapy computers either. The only bit of technology I use is the copy machine in the staff room- which as a staff member is free.

Woah... random venting...

Anyway, just remember that the semester's almost over! We will have to get together over christmas and reminiss on our lack of free time.

By Blogger TrueToddlerTales, at Thursday, November 10, 2005 at 12:57:00 PM PST  

jenni, I'm thrilled to hear you say it. It's exactly why I started this blog. Are you going to NSU? If so, feel free to contact me if you have any questions in the future. ^_~

Good luck to you!

By Blogger esunasoul, at Thursday, November 10, 2005 at 6:22:00 PM PST  

No, actually I'm up in Cleveland, OH but its nice to know nursing students all over are going through the same stuff!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 6:34:00 AM PST  

this blog is amazing. i am starting school in the fall at the university of kentucky, as a freshman going into pre-nursing, in hopes of getting into nursing school. can you offer me any advice about, say how to keep my grades up and remain focused?? i'd really appreciate it.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, August 3, 2008 at 9:12:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home