Monday, August 20, 2007

Graduation

It was, unquestionably, the longest graduation ceremony I have ever attended. Thankfully it was mine, and I knew every single person who walked across the stage. Otherwise I'd have surely died of boredom.
A picture of the school pin. Right now my pin is sitting in a small box on my shelf, waiting for it's place upon my uniform. And I happen to know what color uniform it will be! Teal! I've secured a job working in a CCU at a local hospital. (CCU mostly handles the fresh bypass patients, but they also catch some other acute complex conditions.) I don't start until September 4th, so I've been spending the last few weeks packing my little sister off to her first year of college, giving my room a long-needed junkpurge, and studying for NCLEX.

But what to say about graduation?

The sheer length of the ceremony, the number of speakers, the pictures, the songs... all of these things gave me a real sense of closure on my undergraduate education. I thought "It's really, finally over. I did it." But it wasn't until we said the nursing pledge that I felt a real sense of pride. After we walked across the stage, we didn't return to our seats, but instead went back into the choir loft (the ceremony was at large local church building). They dimmed the lights and we passed fire from lamp to lamp. Then, when everything was glowing around us, some soft music began to play. One of our instructors led us in recitation, and as we spoke into the wavering flames I could see all of my classmates' pins and eyes shining. It was actually a little spooky, since it felt not only solemn, but sacred. I think I will always hold that moment as a very special memory. Something to comfort me in difficult hours.

There were so many parties afterward.


I was supposed to be at the Hurst Live Review today with the rest of my classmates, but because money is tight at the moment, I was waiting till the last minute to sign up. And then what happened? After weeks of open spots, it finally filled up the day I wanted to register. Dang. So now it looks like my only review option is Kaplan Online. No more live reviews are handy for months and months and months! (Did any of you do Kaplan? Online? I'd greatly appreciate your feedback on it before I buy it later this week.)

So, until I start my job I will continue studying. I will post to let you know how the NCLEX went, but I don't intend to write about my job here since it is somewhat riskier. I am uncertain whether I will keep any other nursing blog after this one... I'll have to see whether it's possible or not. (While I'll no doubt have commentary on my life as a real nurse, I fear HIPAA... and to a lesser extent, workplace politics).

I've been so thankful for the few readers who have kept up with me these last 2 years. I feel like our dialog has been fun, and you have certainly been an encouragement to me at times. I hope I was equally encouraging to you. If you are in school, hang in there. You will make it.

So, I'm through! No longer a nursing student! (Though that isn't really true, I have so much to learn for the rest of my life.) Also, my goal is to begin grad school within 5 years. No, not as a to be a CRNA (Ew!) Probably an NP.

I hope to show you a picture of my license in a few months. Until then, thank you so much for reading.

14 Comments:

Yeah! Congratulations on finishing school and securing what sounds like a super job!

I enjoyed the ride - it's been a great read. All the best.

Cheers, niels

By Blogger Niels, at Tuesday, August 21, 2007 at 4:12:00 AM PDT  

Congratulations to you! What an exciting time you're living right now.

By Blogger Unemployed Nurse Jack, at Sunday, September 2, 2007 at 5:29:00 PM PDT  

Congrats! I'm three semesters behind you and am starting to see the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. Some days I need that "you'll make it" more than others, as I'm sure you know.

Would love occasional updates whenever you feel like it, have something interesting to share with us still studying away, or just want to post a good story. Though I completely understand your decision to limit those stories.

You're going to be (already are!) a great nurse. Be well.

-Irish

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, September 6, 2007 at 5:25:00 PM PDT  

I just found this blog and I am sad to see it ending!!!! I am going to start reading all the past blogs to get caught up. I am just beginning my senior year of nursing school in St. Louis, MO. I would love it if you wrote more about NCLEX and beginning your job.

Congratulations on your graduation.

Katie

By Blogger Unknown, at Thursday, September 6, 2007 at 7:39:00 PM PDT  

Congrat! Love your blog!

I would like to share your website with my visitors. I was wondering if we can exchange links.

My website url is http://NurseReview.org

Kindly email me at filipinonurse@gmail.com if interested.

Thanks,
Myk
http://NurseReview.org

By Blogger Myk, at Monday, September 10, 2007 at 12:04:00 AM PDT  

i like the pin! congrats

By Blogger Tsaikoboy, at Wednesday, October 10, 2007 at 5:30:00 AM PDT  

congratulations!!
you refresh my graduation day with this post...hahahha

By Blogger haunurses, at Saturday, October 20, 2007 at 5:00:00 AM PDT  

I was deciding on whether I wanted to make the stressful decision of changing my major to nursing and I came across your blog. I found myself reading your blog from post1 to last and it inspired me with every story. I transfered to a college of nursing in my city and I start in Spring (with ironic coincidence we will be fellow alum once I graduate! I noticed the line about the school being close to the hospital...and I used to work there.) I just wnated to let you know that you inspired me and I will be reading your blog whenever I need that extra motivation to see the end of the tunnel! Thank you and congratulations. You will be an amazing nurse.

By Blogger Road to RN, at Monday, November 5, 2007 at 5:34:00 PM PST  

Wow. Congratulations you must feel so good right now..I hope the NCLEX went well.

I actually came to your site from Google when I typed in "why am i not passing nursing" lol and it was your blog that came up.

Anyway as you can see this is kind of the situation I have been in. After reading some of your posts I was very much inspired and envy the fact your nursing school experience seemed to have gone so smoothly! Tho haha it probably hasn't and I am sure I am sure you had some pretty close calls yourself. I was hoping you had some suggestions for a Nursing student like myself who, let's say, is not meeting passing requirements, get on the right track. I have always had the discipline of studying day and night, but in nursing it seems I am focusing my studying in the wrong areas (pathophysiology, medical management, etc.). What do you think I should be doing to enhance my test taking skills, where all the questions are about applying, analyzing, etc. ?

Anyway I love your blog you made and your posts, It has really inspired me. I guess that is why I am asking for your help.

Thanks for your time if you read all of this.

- Yasu going-crazy Igarashi
yasumasaigarashi@gmail.com

By Blogger Yasumasa Igarashi, at Monday, November 5, 2007 at 7:18:00 PM PST  

Wow, I'm trying to get into nursing school and you have been such an inspiration just by reading a few of your blogs. I know this blog was dated in 2007 and its 2010 now so you might not read this but awesome blog!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, April 6, 2010 at 12:39:00 AM PDT  

This is Hannah Bevills, I am an editor with Hospital.com. We are a medical publication whose focus is geared towards promoting awareness on hospitals, including information, news, and reviews on them. We would like to have our site included within your blog and offer our information to your readers, of course we would be more than happy to list your blog within our directory as well. I look forward to your response, Thanks!

Hannah Bevills
hannah.bevills@gmail.com
Hospital.com

By Blogger Unknown, at Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 1:09:00 PM PDT  

I stumbled upon this the other day and I've read your whole nursing student life within a few days. I wish I found this when you first came up with the blog.

A little late but.. CONGRATULATIONS!

I will be starting nursing school in January 2011 and your blog has inspired me in a way to succeed, you are such a hard worker!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 9:19:00 PM PDT  

Sweet, congratulations on completion of your journey! I'm sure you've accomplished a lot more since the time of your graduation. Great blog!

-Michael
Nursing Schools In Southern California

By Blogger Michael, at Sunday, September 11, 2011 at 4:24:00 PM PDT  

me too student nursing from malaysia..congrats

By Blogger princess bean, at Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 12:50:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home