Monday, September 11, 2006

Back to School!

This semester is Peds and OB. I like my instructors sofar (though nobody will take the place of Instructor Fantastic in my heart).

I'm a little pissed off because I'm having to take a statistics class. It's not so bad by itself, but I already took Stat as a math class in Houston. But does the school want that credit? Noooo, they want Psychology Statistics. I've fought and pleaded. I've asked to take a test, but to no avail! Basically I'm paying them money to sit around and re-learn things I've already mastered. On top of that, I find that many nurses are none-to-bright about math, and the pace of study is agonizingly slow compared to the first go-round. Let's hope I don't go crazy. ^_^;;

I'm still working as a tech in the PCU. I'd never really considered PCU as a place to start a nursing career, but it's becoming more appealing all the time. First of all, the patient ratio is lower than Med-Surg, but the patients aren't quite as critical as in the ICU. Secondly, the hospital is interested in "cross-training" people in ICU and ER skills in order to provide more options for "floating" extra staff in times of low census. Thirdly, I like the floor I'm on, and wouldn't mind working with these people in a larger capacity.

I've always been far more interested in critical care than anything else, mostly because I'm not too fond of children or surgery or the like. And I want to be in a place that will challenge me and keep me on my toes. Still keeping my options open, but it looks like this hospital has accomplished it's own goals by recruiting me for this job: getting me comfortable with this facility and reeling me in for employment after graduation.

We'll see how things work out when I graduate. If I don't end up in Texas, I really hope I end up right where I am.

Tomorrow I'm going to spend clinicals in Labor and Delivery. I reaallly hope a baby is born in the time that I am there, because I feel like that would be much more exciting than just hanging out with a woman moaning in labor for 8 hours. o_O

Taken two tests sofar. I actually made an A on the second one! (I'd almost forgotten how it felt to make A's on big tests with this funky grading scale!) My extra preparation is paying off. I'm making time to read the chapters before lecture and staying at least 2 hours afterwards in the library for review. And that works. (Well... except when a question is vague or weird. But that's not my problem.)

I really really want to do well this semester so I can increase those decimals after the 3 in my nursing gpa. I want to be inducted into Sigma Theta Tau! They only take the upper percent of the class, so I don't know what my chances are. If I keep making As though, maybe they'll improve. ^_^

6 Comments:

Fair Play to you on your Crit Care Quest - thats my goal too! :)

By Blogger LizzyFerret, at Friday, September 15, 2006 at 3:44:00 PM PDT  

I had a bunch of student nurses watch me give birth. I was so far into labor that I agreed. Otherwise, I think I'd be a bit too modest to allow it. I'm not even sure if they stayed for the whole thing or not. One day I'll be on the other end, watching someone give birth! Bring some ear plugs ;) and be prepared for lots of cursing.

For some reason blogger says my account doesn't exist when I log in to post a comment. So here's a link to my blog if you want to check it out.
http://www.nursemama.blogspot.com/

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, September 15, 2006 at 7:45:00 PM PDT  

how do ou know if you can handle nursing school?
i know i'm smart enough[or so i hear from everyone], but i am afraid i won't be able to remember everything.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, June 11, 2007 at 8:17:00 PM PDT  

Hello!

I'm interesting in having text link from your http://iamanursingstudent.blogspot.com/ site to my site.

If you able to do it, please tell me how much it would be cost me.

You can contact me at daniel.weber.main AT gmail DOT com

Thank you.

Daniel


PS
clear, this is not a comment :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, August 16, 2008 at 9:56:00 AM PDT  

SO BUMMED OUT!

My wife and I have wanted to be nurses for as long as we can remember. We attended Sinclair Community College of Nursing and we left due to the fact that the professors gave us such a hard time about being a husband and wife in the program together. We were straight A students and got along with all of our peers. We left Sinclair’s “ADN” program to attend a four year University and to obtain our “BSN.’

Just as luck might have it, today in the Dayton Daily Newspaper there was an article about Sinclair and how the Director of Sinclair Community College Nursing Program Marcia Miller is facing felony charges and Gloria Goldman (Sinclair College Assistant Provost of Nursing) has also been put on administrative leave for knowingly hiring a friend to teach Nursing students without having a nursing license. you can read more about here http://tinyurl.com/36qr2nq

I feel so lucky that my wife and I did not let a corrupt school or negative professors detour us from a career in nursing. I do feel sorry for our fellow peers that are still attending Sinclair’s nursing program. If Sinclair loses their Accreditation will our friends be able to go elsewhere and have those classes transfer? Have you ever heard of a school doing something like this before?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, October 9, 2010 at 3:39:00 PM PDT  

hi, your blog helped me a lot... hope i will have high rate on my board exam...i am finding answers to the pressures of nursing world, i've been untapping, but everytime i lose track...then i saw again your blog just now..and it inspired me^^

By Blogger eStudenT NarS, at Sunday, May 8, 2011 at 6:18:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home