Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Ding! I Leveled Up.

Yes, the title is geeky. But you can hardly blame me... I've never hidden the fact that I am a part-time nerd. ^_^

This is my first week of Second Level!

This semester will focus on Med-Surg nursing. My new instructor is a short, spunky lady who is quite possibly one of the bluntest women I've ever met. One of my extremely inquisitive friends has already irritated her with too many questions, so my instructor has decided to limit her to 3 per day. This is of course sarcastic; she'll answer whatever questions need answering. But anytime my friend asks something the teacher finds superfluous, she throws up her hands and says something like "Lord, this is number two! You better be careful how you use you last one!"

What is different from first level sofar? I'll spend two days in the hospital instead of just one. I'm only taking 5 classes instead of 7, but one is Med-Surg theory and the other is Pharmacology. Argh! I've heard this called the "hard level" by many students. I'm not sure if that's because those who failed second level probably should have failed first but barely squeaked by, or because the teachers are harder on you, or if the material is fundamentally more difficult. (I can hardly credit the idea of Med-Surg being harder than critical care. Only time will tell, I'm sure.)

You know my Really Useful Page full of the all the scans and handouts from last semester? I went in to the first level BSN class today and gave all the students that website address. The teachers seemed thrilled about it (maybe I should have announced it to the class when they were still responsible for my grade?) but the students looked a little confused. I can only hope they actually make use of the thing, since it saves each person an average of $7.20, which means with 70 students... that's over $500.
I am only more determined to acquire official school webspace for this project so I can leave something behind for posterity.

So. I'll let you know how things go this next week. All of you who are aspiring nurses or techs or whatever... good luck with your new semester!

6 Comments:

Hi Heather,

Good to see you back blogging again. So, Level 2. How many levels do you have exactly until you graduate. I hope its closer to 5 than, say, 50. Anyway, good luck with the new classes and clinicals. It sounds like you are doing your classmates a huge favor by developing that website for them. I hope they are appreciative. Good luck with that too.

I have finally started classes in my Radiography program. So far it has gone really well and the stuff we are studying is interesting to me, which really helps when it comes time to study. Speaking of studying I had my first test and got a 90%. Not too bad I guess, but I had expected to get a better score than that. Anyway, wish me luck on my A&P exam tomorrow.

Well, I look forward to all your future posts about your new semester.

Good luck

Dustin B.
http://azx-raytechstudent.blogspot.com

By Blogger Dustin, at Wednesday, January 11, 2006 at 10:40:00 AM PST  

Love your blog, glad to see you writing again! I go back to school on Tuesday, looks like I'm about a year behind you. Health Assessment is my clinical this semester - MedSurg and Mental Health next Fall. Enjoying the glimpse into the future you're sharing!

Jenna
http://nursejenna.blogspot.com

By Blogger JennaRN2008, at Thursday, January 12, 2006 at 8:47:00 AM PST  

Hey welcome back to the blogging world! Good luck with the semester!

By Blogger Nurse2B, at Tuesday, January 17, 2006 at 6:11:00 AM PST  

I like your journal. Hope you keep posting:)

By Blogger Raspberry Stethoscope, at Wednesday, January 25, 2006 at 7:50:00 PM PST  

Glad to see you are blogging again. I know I am not very original. Your program doesn't sound at all like ours, but everyone said 2nd year (the one I have just completed) is the hardest. I am in 2 minds about this statement. I think adjusting to Uni life and getting through the first year has something to be said for it considering about 1/3 of our class dropped out after it. 2nd year is notoriously difficult, the concepts are more difficult, the lecturers definately expect more from you and the pracs are more challenging. 3rd year has something to be said about it to, as I/we are now the "big kids" and have a responsibility to nurture and guide the newbies as well as seek graduate programs, consider further educational opportunities and keep up with the full time study load coupled with the most intense prac we have ever undertaken.

I think every year is hard, every year challenges you and if you want to you can find an opportunity to shine in every year. Good Luck.

By Blogger Unimum209, at Wednesday, January 25, 2006 at 11:59:00 PM PST  

I love the site, I just wanted to share with you a great sale that I bought a bunch of nursing books at 50% off
http://portals2.elsevier.com/portal/portal/greatdeals/LeftProductAction
Keep up blogging.
Charles

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, September 12, 2006 at 3:06:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home